Happy Second Tuesday in May everyone!! Last night was the First Monday in May (a.k.a.: the date that the Met Gala is on every single year!)
If you’re like me, you were keeping up with the Met Gala Red Carpet on E! News as it was happening. I am assuming people that were not watching, were definitely staying tuned via social media.
Each year the Met Gala has a theme that is chosen by Editor-in-Chief at Vogue, Anna Wintour and her team of fashion peeps. This year the theme was Fashion and the Catholic Imagination. Past years the themes have been, 2017: Comme des Garçons, 2016: Manus x Machina, 2015: China: Through the looking glass. This year’s theme, having to do with religion, had potential to be controversial—but that’s just what fashion aims to do—push the envelope.
If you follow me on Instagram, then you know I was taking polls on my Insta stories last night! I asked all my followers what they thought of celebs outfits and they voted accordingly! It was so cool to see what you guys thought of the looks too. You also would have seen the little fact I wrote, that my FIRST EVER blog post, four YEARS ago was actually my review of the 2014 Met Gala: Fashion Live from the Red Carpet. SO it was only fitting that I write a review, four years later on the same thing. I unfortunately have deleted the post (sad, I know, I would have LOVED to go back and read what I wrote) but I did a big clean out when I started to get really serious about blogging.
Now that we have a sense of background for the event, let’s get into the looks of the night. I had a lot of ‘LOVEs’ a couple ‘EHs’ and a handful of ‘NO WAYs’. Tonight I am just going to feature my LOVEs because I believe that even though I did not like a look, that doesn’t mean the design was not beautiful or that other people did not love it! Fashion is all about self expression, so putting someone down for what they decided to wear on their body is not what I am interested for this blog post.
In order of how much I loved it, starting with the least loved and working up to my favorite, here we go!
10. Hailee Steinfeld in Prabal Gurung—Not only is Hailee very on theme with this look, but she takes it a step further and looks adorable, yet modern with this very historic theme. The white gown is striking, as is the bold red lip.
9. Kerry Washington in Ralph Lauren—I am loving at Kerry shows off her natural curls, it is very different than the Kerry Washington we see on TV as Olivia Pope! The gold is stunning on her and I like how the cut of her dress is different from others.
8. Kendall Jenner in Virgil Abloh—Kendall can do no wrong, so of course she made it on my top 10 list from last night. The sleek pony done by Jen Atkin is genius and I love how she did her look a little different with the jumpsuit instead of a gown. She was also one of a few that did the sleeves-turned-gloves which I think is really chic.
7. Gigi Hadid in Versace—Gigi is obviously stunning in this dress, the stained glass look is very on theme but not over the top. It is a beauty look, it’s not crazy but it is a little safe for Gigi, which is why she is ranked in at number 7 on my list of faves.
6. Zoë Kravitz in Yves Saint Laurent—ZOË. KRAVTIZ. AMAZING. This YSL number is stunning and on Kravitz, it’s just even better. She has such an amazing look as it is, and this total cut out is so cool. The other side of the dress (not pictured here) is long and elegant (and covered!) but this side was just too cool not to feature.
5. Katharine McPhee in Georges Chakra Couture—This dress on her is so beautiful. If you were to ask me at the beginning of last night if I thought Katharine McPhee would be on my top ten list, I would probably say no. However, she nailed this look. I love the color of the dress, the hardware on it and the style. Her short blonde bob is to die for.
4. Kylie Jenner in Alexander Wang—Queen Kylie has arrived. (Not photoed here is Travis Scott, who also looked amazing)! I loved Kylie in this gown, it had just the right amount of sass, and those glasses OMG! I watched her strike a post on TV where she took her leg out of the slit and her tights actually had ‘Alexander Wang’ embroidered into them and it was such a major moment of the show. This new mama has it going on.
3. Hailey Baldwin in Tommy Hilfiger—All I can say is wow. It’s no surprise that this look made it to my top three, when she came onto the carpet my jaw literally dropped. The color is amazing, the cool neckline is fabulous and the pink bob with the flower crown by Jen Atkin just completes the look. Her complexion with the color of the gown is unreal and she was definitely a best dressed in my book last night.
2. Kim Kardashian West in Versace—KKW DOES IT AGAIN! I was literally waiting all night (I started watching at 6:30 and Kim didn’t arrive until 8:30) for Kim to arrive and boy, was it worth it. Her glam alone is stunning and then her figure in the dress?! It blows my mind! Kim K never ceases to amaze me, and she was expected to bring it (she did). You may have thought she would be number 1 for me but J. Lo took the crown.
- Jennifer Lopez in Balmain—I have no words again for this look. I am a big fan of Balmain’s designs, and this one adds to my list of favorite looks by them. At first I just saw her bob with the top of the dress and I said ‘Wow’ and then I saw the feathers at the bottom and I am completely blown away! Her glam for this look was perfection, and no one did it better than J. Lo last night.
Who was your fave?